Barbara knowledge of the court system and the needs of families in transition allow her to work effectively and compassionately on behalf of her clients. She brings a track record of success and experience to the firm of Kathleen M. Newman Family Law.
Barbara’s leadership and community involvement have prepared her to meet the broader needs of her clients. She is a regular speaker at Daisy Camp, a weekend of divorce-related workshops led by leading experts presenting on topics such as custody, child support, and spousal maintenance. She also volunteers on the Hennepin County District Ethics Committee. Barbara serves as Vice-President of the Wayzata Central Middle School Parent Teacher Association’s executive committee, assisting various committees in planning for the school year and achieving goals.
Barbara takes great pride in familiarizing herself with every detail of each of her client’s situation. She understands that the smallest detail could be the one that changes the application of the law, and ultimately, the result for her client. Her enthusiasm and strong advocacy for her clients continues to bring her to the forefront as a leader in family law, while her compassion and honesty provide a sense of stability for her clients during a time of significant life transition. Her ability to employ the right balance of advocacy and compassion at the appropriate time is what yields favorable results for her clients.
Areas of Practice
- Child Custody and Parenting time
- Child Support
- Representation of Clients in Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Non-Marital Property Issues
- Minnesota, 2014
Classes & Seminars Taught
- Lecturer: “Avoiding Pitfalls of Misused Karon Waivers,” Family Law Institute, March 19, 2019
- Lecturer: “Your First Divorce: Determining Child Support,” Family Law Institute, March 19, 2019
- Lecturer: “Divorce 101,” Daisy Camp
- William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota
- Juris Doctor – 2014
- Minnesota State University, Mankato, Minnesota
- B.S. – 2008
- Major: Speech Communication
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Family Law League
- Volunteer Member of the Fourth District Ethics Committee